Crafting creations for my home and others

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tutorial: Hollywood Curls without the heat


Ever look at the movie stars and wonder how in the world do they get their hair to curl like that.
I know I do but I don't want to go through the process of  curl..hairspray..curl..burn..hairspray not to mention the toll it takes on your hair to curl it every day. Plus with long hair like mine it take forever!!

You can get huge Hollywood curls that last all day long and won't damage your hair in the process.

Does your hair not hold a curl? This just may solve that problem!

Do you ever do laundry and when your done only one sock comes out when you could swear you put two in to begin with.  Do you stash it in a pile of other socks with out a match? Well go dig into that pile and find your favorite (clean) one because it now has another job! 


What you will need:
Sock 
spray bottle with water 
hair tie, hair rubber band...whatever it is you call it.

I suggest using some type of smoothing cream as well. It makes the curls stand out more. I did not use it when I did it, but next time I will.


Now take that sock of yours and cut off the tip where the toes go.
For my really long hair I used a knee sock but you don't have to any sock will work fine.



Take your spray bottle and spray the ends of your hair. 
You want your hair damp not soaking wet. The more water the longer it takes to dry and the longer your hair the longer it takes to dry.

Damp hair.
(I do not have wavy or curly hair. My hair dries straight, but these pictures would leave you to believe otherwise.)

Take your sock and roll it up like a doughnut

 Here is the sock all rolled up

Take your hair and put it in a high ponytail on the top of your head.
Then take a picture to see how silly you look

Take your doughnut sock and put your hair through the center of it..just like a hair tie. It is easiest to put it on at the top (like a hair tie) and then slide it down the the end. Leaving some hair ( 3-4 inches) at the bottom of the doughnut sock.  Also note that the cuff of my sock is pointing down. Its the black rim you see there.

Take your hair and fold it up and into the sock

Keep going until all of your hair is tucked up and into the sock. Don't worry if there are gaps showing through. Once your hair is tucked in roll the sock up your hair. I couldn't take pictures of this because it requires both hands to roll the sock.




This is what your hair should look like when your done rolling. The more you do it the easier it becomes and the smoother your bun will look.

On a side note you can also wear your hair like this and nobody will know there is a sock in there. It gives the look of a full beautiful bun without all the work. I suggest that you don't wear it on the top of your head though....maybe if you work at the library that would be acceptable..but for the rest of us..I suggest wearing it a little lower..or maybe off to the side...princess Leia style anyone?
(Google image)

Ok moving on

Now you are going to sleep on your bun.
Yep go to bed your work is done for the night.
When you wake up in the morning unroll your bun. It might be a little sloppy and loose but that's ok. When you take out your bun you will get this

I did not brush my hair at all. The more you brush the more wavy look you will get.  These curls lasted for the entire day. They did get more loose as the day when on but they were still curly. 

Enjoy

Be sure to check out the other Hair style tutorial on my Blog: Twisted Sister


43 comments:

  1. I'm willing to try it! My hair is notoriously finicky! Thanks for sharing! Now to go find a sock! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this soon! Another blog I found suggested this and it works as well!!!

    http://ineedmoreglitter.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-need-more-curls-no-heat-curls.html

    This version uses an elastic headband and nothing else. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has the perfect hair for this! I'm going to try this on her! Great idea! Hope it works!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea!! Thank you so much for sharing ! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so trying this! Maybe this hairdo would make my morning routine go a little quicker! =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I tried it last night, and have a question. . . when I took my hair down this morning, the pony tail holder had left a mark/bump/line all the way across the top of my head. It made my hair hang funny. Have you ever had a problem with that? Maybe I wrapped my hair too many times in the holder. I don't know. Just wondered if you had any advice! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kelly

    Try making a loose pony tail. If you have any more fabric type headbands..the big fat ones try tying your hair up with that instead It shouldn't crease your hair as tightly as a hair tie. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's amazing! Thanks for sharing! http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tip! Too bad I'm cursed with curly hair to begin with. Any tips on a no-heat way to get it straight? :)

    2027

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much!! I'll try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome trick, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no! I only went and cut my hair short a couple of weeks ago, I might try it when it grows back! New google and facebook follower, please pop by, Karima x
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I am going to try this. Very cute and practical. I love your blog!

    Your newest follower,
    Abby
    i---create
    (come take a look if you like)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a genius! This is also a great way to make a bun. I would love it if you linked up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now. There is also an awesome giveaway to go with the party, so you should check it out. http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-linky-party-and.html
    I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is equally wonderful and hilarious. I must try it soon as I have super stick straight hair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, gotta try this one.. we'll see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you put any product in your hair after unrolling? Hair spray or anything to keep the curl all day?? Or put product in it before wrapping it up?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the coolest thing ever! I'm trying it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fabulous tutorial. I've never heard of this before. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for linking up to Take-A-Look Tuesday - - I just featured you on my FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @monica
    I did not put anything in my hair before or after. But you sure can, and maybe some people might need too. My hair curls pretty well and isn't super thick.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving this! I'm pinning this! Your hair is really pretty! I am your newest follower! I would love it if you stopped by my blog and become my newest follower! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE this idea!! I hot roll my hair a lot and BOY it is too hot lately for hot rollers! I LOVE this idea!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I had longer hair and owned socks I would totally try this, but the dog ate my socks and I cut my hair off so I won't be trying this anytime soon. Absolutely loved your expression while you took pictures of yourself of the process. I will feature this next week for WorkShop Wednesday. Everyone should know how to create good hair even if I can't!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you may have solved my bun issue! I wear buns everyday at work but since I cut my hair it looks soooo small. This might be just the thing to make it look fuller! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty! Great tutorial- love the pic of Princess Leia! lol ;)

    Thanks for linkin this up with us! We featured you today!
    http://lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com/2011/07/wgw-20.html

    Happy weekend! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Lolly Jane

    Thanks so much for the feature! =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, look great!! I'm always looking for new tricks for curling hair. This looks so easy and it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. gorgeous! Thanks for posting such a great tutorial. going to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for linking up to my Tuesday Confessional link party. You've been featured, so make sure you grab a button and get your brag on! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/ive-been-gone-for-weekend-so-i-didnt.html
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! I'm trying this! Thanks for a great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. brilliant! my hair is shorter, but think I could get it to work with a few mini buns! Love this! Thank you for linking up to WWWW! I'm featuring your fabulousness today!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sweet!!! Thank you for the great tut.

    Hugs,
    Regi

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loved this! I tried it last night and it worked pretty well-- now I know, though, that the layers in my hair will require very-wet hair and a scrunchee to hold in the ends is good.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm bummed that I just cut my hair short! It may still work a little, but not as many curls for sure. This might also work with a scrunchie in place of the sock. In fact, a scrunchie, being thinner than a rolled up sock, may give more rolls and thus work better for shorter hair...hmm, off to play with this!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this! I just posted something similar, but not a bun a headband. I am going to have to try this way for sure. I am always looking for ways to get the curl in no time (or heat) at all. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is seriously awesome! You made it look pretty easy so I am going to try it!! If it works for me I will owe you one for all the time it will save me from heat styling! I'll let you know.
    I am a new follower from Paisleys blog hop.
    http://www.jennyatdapperhouse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a fabulous idea! I'm off to try it right now! xx
    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've tried this, but I haven't had much success. I've tried to do it with damp and dry hair, I've tried it with and without Frizz Ease and mousse. The bottom of my hair gets curly, but my layers do not. Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
  40. @Kelli

    Maybe try doing two buns. One with your shorter layers in it and one with the longer peices in it. Otherwise Im not sure why your layers wouldnt curl....is your hair hard to curl?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing , I have my graduation coming up I cant wait to brag about the hair, don't worry I will mention you and your beautiful blog !!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just commented up there the one before this . I have really long long hair down a little past my butt . Do I have too make a bunch of buns like 2 to make it work properly ? And I think I seriously need a knee sock or a pantiehoe ! Lol !

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? I would love to know what you have to say =) Comments make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...